Friday, February 11, 2011

Compassion--02/11/11

It's such a foreign concept to my mind. I love justice--for others and myself. I seek fairness. When I receive the consequences for my sin, I count it just. I hardly sympathize for the one who knowingly sins and receives his punishment. Not only consequences, but the way things ought to be. Chores have to be done, so if someone who doesn't have a job or school takes a heavier load around the house, I have to make a conscious effort to even notice, and so much more to thank them, because it just seems like that's what they're "supposed to do."

When I was a child, one of my favorite stories was "The Gingerbread Man," and the story is about a cookie who was baked for someone's grandchildren. The cookie tries to escape, but in the end, he allows the children to devour him because that's why he was made. The story lacked mercy for the gingerbread man, and since it was a childhood favorite for me, it only psychologically proves more of my "just" heart.

All of this to say, I also like to think we have a right to our own desires. In certain cases, I find an excuse for people to be selfish. If someone is in pain, they should be allowed to complain. If someone is getting married, they should be allowed to ignore other people for a while. If someone is grieving the loss of a loved one, they should be allowed. to run away by themselves as long as they desire.

Maybe all of those things are okay--limitedly. Jesus shows that even in those circumstances, we should have compassion on others. Matthew 14:6-14. It made me shiver. Jesus has just discovered that John the Baptist was beheaded to please a female dancer and Herod's party guests. So he "withdrew from there in a boat to a secluded place by Himself; and when the people heard of this, they followed Him on foot from the cities. When He went ashore, He saw a large crowd, and felt compassion for them and healed their sick."

Jesus just lost a beloved friend to the fate of another's sick pleasure. He wanted a little peaceful solitude, but when the large crowd followed behind, He didn't scream for them to go away. He felt pure, holy compassion for them, and from that compassion, He forgot about His want for solitude to heal His owl soul, and he turned around to heal their sick.

Lord, teach me to be this humble, sacrificial, and selfless. Teach me to love like You do. I love you, Lord.

~Anna, Beloved by her Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment